Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup (Serves 4 - 6)
6 large carrots, scrubbed or peeled, cut into chunks 1 medium onion, diced1 tablespoon brown barley miso8 slices of fresh, peeled ginger (thinly sliced)
2 - 3 cups water, filtered or spring
Salt, generous pinch to taste
Parsley or Nori strips (optional to garnish)
1. In a 2-quart saucepan add water, ginger slices and 3 cloves. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes or so (you can make this stock in advance or while doing steps 2 and 3.) Then with a slotted spoon, remove ginger slices and cloves.
2. Sautee diced onions with salt in olive oil in a stockpot until soft.
3. Add carrots, sautee for 10 minutes, or so.
4. Then add ginger stock to the vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes, covered until vegetables are soft to blend.
5. With a slotted spoon, re move vegetables and then blend in a food processor or blender until smooth.
6. Return blended soup to the empty 2-quart saucepan, then slowly add hot ginger stock back into to blended carrot soup. Note - stir in soup until you get the consistency you want. For a thicker soup, add less stock.
7. In a small separate bowl, add brown barley miso (use red miso for gluten-free) and a small amount of hot water or stock to make a miso paste.
8. Serve soup in individual bowls and finish with a miso swirl and garnish with parsley or Nori strips.